DS riding in DeSoto National Forest
The DeSoto NF Chickasawhay District is practically in my back yard, so I spend a good deal of time out there in my truck, camping, and on my Suzuki DRZ400S.
The USDA site has what they call MVUMs that you can download and print.  That stands for Motor Vehicle Use Map.  It shows the forestry roads that are available for travel by Highway Legal Vehicles, and ATVs.  
The beauty of a dual sport bike is that it allows me to legally go on ANY of these roads.   Big Grin

I won't bother to describe my route, except to say that I was mostly on gravel roads, but when the forestry roads end, you can often go a bit further past the turnaround to find the reason why the road terminated.  Usually it is a branch or pond, or similar.  

The riding is not what I would call challenging, but there are so many roads to explore that it is a fun getaway.

A few pics from today.

This is a small body of water along a branch that I thought was kind of pretty.  Good place to stop and check my map and chill a while.

[Image: CAM01681_zps802pbdcw.jpg]
[Image: CAM01680_zpsf23opjoy.jpg]

When I go to places like this in the truck, I usually keep an eye out for snakes.  But I figure I'm pretty safe in MX boots.   Tongue   Bite THIS, vipers!

[Image: CAM01682_zpsetnlshfs.jpg]

This is a place where my off-road truck group, http://mississippi-mud.com often camps.  It is a very secure spot because you can not get there without a capable 4wd or a dirt bike.  

[Image: CAM01679_zpsg99ukoyf.jpg]

This field was breathtaking. There were patches of wildflowers in bloom, a pond in the center, and a cool breeze cooling me as I sat down in the ant-free grass to relax a while and add some more notes to my maps.
[Image: CAM01683_zpsha9heyb2.jpg]
Heading out this weekend with Mississippi-Mud.com, but this would be a decent opportunity for anyone who is set up for ADV riding. We ride, camp, ride, camp, ride, and go home.
I'm down next time you are.
(09-29-2015, 04:16 PM)sartin07 Wrote: I'm down next time you are.

Sounds good.  I need to get out for a ride.  I've been hustling to get my truck ready for Cruisin the Coast, but after that, I'll be up for a forest ride.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trail Riding in DeSoto National forest Reserector 0 3,947 08-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Reserector
  DeSoto Day Riding grits 4 11,683 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Last Post: EnduroRdr